Friday 20 April 2007

stuffed peppers



This is a Turkish delicacy. I think it's called Biber Dolmasi but I'm not sure cause I googled Dolmasi and macam macam la keluar. I first saw the meal from this film called Gegen die Wand (Head On).

Ingredients
4 peppers suitable for stuffing
2 tablespoons of margarine
1 or 1/2 cups of canned tomatoes with juice


Filling (not feelings ok)
200 gramms of ground meat
2 tablespoons butter
2 medium onions (diced)
1/3 cup of rice
4 cherry tomatoes (or 2 large ones, diced)
3/4 glass water
a bit of dried dill
salt and black pepper to season



Instructions:
1. Cut of the stalks and tops of the peppers to form a lid and remove all seeds.
2. Clean and wash the insides of the peppers and leave aside.
3. Heat olive oil and diced onions in a pan and saute until the onions go soft.
4. Add water and rice. Cook for about 10 minutes.
5. Remove pan from heat, add the ground meat, dill, pepper and salt. Mix for a bit.
6. Stuff the peppers with the filling, and you can either use the top of the pepper to cover it or not. I chose not to.
7. Place in pan, add margarine on top of the peppers, fill with 1 or 1/2 cups of canned tomatoes (until almost level with the peppers.
8. Close the lid and cook for about 25-35 minutes (depending on size).




Et voilĂ !



I had mine with beetroot (sliced cooked beetroot with dill and lemon juice).


The thing is, I didn't have any meat with me so I used a protein substitute (this thing called quorn, a vegetarian meat substitute, which is handy if you want to make pasta but it doesn't work with this recipe because when the quorn is mixed with rice, jadi macam rice aje. No meaty taste. Boooooooo)


Selamat mencuba!

3 comments:

lovanilla said...

wow...looks like something you order from the restaurant...so colorful and yummy...i'm so proud of you kay.. *isk*isk*....i wich i could try it but i have to confess i really dislike peppers. can i use something else?

ennuicrescendo said...

Do you remember the bit where she mixed some a red paste into a glass with water? No recipes I've found list it, but I could swear it's this stuff called "Ajvar" which is frequenty used in Turkish and Bosnian dishes. She pours it over the peppers as the last step. :) Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Great Recipe - I absolutely adore that film also - its in my top 3 film of all time - did you cry? I bawled my eyes out when Sibel's father was burning her photos.
@Irrumare Ajvar is a-mazing - I stir a tbsp into scrambled eggs in the last minutes of cooking and eat with bread - the robper Balkan way. I made it once will we doing it again and post the recipe on my blog - I have one similar called Fergese Tirane - Same as ajvar but made with crumbled feta and served hot. This is on my blog.
RE: Dolma - stuffed peppers Turkish people will dillute tomato or pepper paste with water instead of using passata or canned tomatoes.