Thursday 14 June 2007

Oh yes yes...i cook too :P

This dish is one of my all time favourites cooked by my aunt in Sabah. It's kinda like her trademark thing. Whenever i'm there it's like 'wajib' for her to cook it for me. I loooove it and can just eat it with hot white fluffy rice. That would make my day. I'm talking about 'daging kering' or some might call it 'daging masak kuning'. Hmmm i guess in english it would be stir-fried beef in tumeric? i'm not sure.

Anyway during my last trip to Sabah, she taught me how to cook it (it's very simple actually) and so i did! But i still have to say her's taste better than mine...:) I'm gonna share the recipe here but i must warn that there are no proper measurements as it's more like a 'ikut citarasa sendiri' kinda dish. hehehehhe...


potato wedges frying away i just had to hold a perfectly rounded sliced onion in my palm

Daging Kering/Masak Kuning

2 potatoes, cut into wedges
oil for frying
about 500g boneless beef, cut into cubes/bite sizes
1 tsp tumeric powder
1 tbsp tamarind juice
1 big onion, sliced
1 tbsp ghee
salt to taste

beef boiling in water...lama lagi nak kering nih

-Shallow fry the potato wedges until golden. Place on paper towels and keep the remaining oil for later.
-Place beef cubes and tumeric powder into a wok and cover with water. Boil covered until beef is tender or water had dried up. (this may take a while but it's worth the wait)
-When water has dried up, add the remaining potato oil little by little just enough to coat the beef everytime. Stir-fry the beef till dry and then add the tamarind juice and ghee.
-Next add salt and just before turning off the heat, throw in the onions and fry till just soft. (or as how you like it)
-Lastly toss beef and potatoes together and serve.

walah!!! the end product :P

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.........that's all i can say



No comments: